On Dec 12, 2007 10:00 PM, Paul Martz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'll bump the version number up once I tag the 2.3.0 release,
> > I've been hanging back while more testing is carried out.
>
> Can I suggest a change in policy? The version number should get bumped as
> soon as the first post-release change is committed. At that point, the code
> no longer matches the previous release; the version number should increment
> to reflect that.
>
> If the SVN head version number contains post-release changes but the version
> number is unchanged, then code written for specific releases might not run
> on the current SVN head, thus delaying testing.

The version bump isn't always set in stone though.  Originally I was
hoping to get a 2.2.1 out the door a month after 2.2, and make it
backwards compatible with 2.2.  Alas I was too busy too get this
opportunity and submissions have moved on to a point that has broken
binary compatibility.

With the normal weekly dev release schedule there won't normally be so
much of an issue.  The last two months have been rather exceptional in
this respect.