OK, I have a good guess why this isn't working for me. I'm calling
setScale on the osg::PositionAttitudeTransform that my models are
attached to, and I bet the depth partition is using the actual model
size... am I correct?

If so, I need to either scale the models themselves before loading, or
scale the actual model on load. I'm using osgDB::readNodeFile("xxx.
3ds") to load the models. There doesn't appear (I have looked through
the reference guide... of course that doesn't mean the info isn't
there ;-) to be a way to scale the actual model data on load (which
would be nice as I would not have to involve the artist again).

Richard