Hi Mike,

Thanks for the pointer about the GPU pipeline, I'll check it out.

> So you're drawing 6x as many quads as necessary; that's seems a good
> rationale to learn geometry shaders! :-)  That and moving texcoord generation
> off the CPU and into the vertex shader.

I'm pretty anxious to try them out myself, but in this case, I don't
think it would make that much difference. Sure, in percentage terms 6x
more is a lot, but in absolute terms it's still not very much (20 cables
with 20 segments of 6 quads each - 2400 quads... and even in terms of
vertices it's not that many...), so I guess I'm doing something wrong.
It's not the first time someone's displayed cables, and using geometry
shaders was not an option until recently, so there's obviously something
amiss.

J-S