On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Night Hawk
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Surprising indeed. I was about to override the Array classes to use native
> c-style arrays. But now it seems OSG can convert vectors to C-style arrays
> fast enough :)

The OSG wouldn't do it if it wasn't efficient, its literally a non op,
a std::vector<Vec3> is implemented
as Vec3* array on almost all STL implementations, although technically
it might not be. All platforms/compilers
that the OSG works with implement a std::vector<Vec3> as a Vec3* array.

> Wish the documentation (either for vector or for OSG) can cover this. People
> like me who have seen "NO STL for gaming" slogans are taken aback when we
> see OSG using STL heavily.

I suspect STL got a bad name due to VS 6.0's appalling STL
implementation, and few out spoken and mis informed fanatics would
advocated inventing everything yourself, seemingly based on the
principle that games programmers could master all spheres of
programming better than anyone else.

The OSG uses STL because its:

    fast

    maximizes code reuse

    maximizes skills reuse

    minimizes the amount of code we have to develop, optimize, test,
debug and document

    due to minimizing wasted time, it maximizes time we can spend on
effective software develop i.e.
    the scene graph rather than the C++ infrastructure

For a C++ app, STL just makes so much sense that one would be a bit
deluded to not want to leverage the great work of others, STL is
truely a great work of modern software engineering ;-)