To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
From: "John Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 02/28/2008 03:43PM
Subject: [osg-users] Extracting visible geometry

Hello OSG users:

I am wondering what OSG can provide in solving the following problem:

Given a scene with on the order of 100s of simple geometry elements
(perhaps osg::Box types) and given an (x,y,z) position in that scene,
I'd like

1) A list of all polygonal planes that are *visible* from the given
point (in all directions).  For example, if the scene consisted of a
single Box (a building), and the given point was near a corner at the
base of that box, I'd like to know the two polygons describing the two
visible faces of the box (sides of the building).  If a portion of the
box was occluded (by other geometry in the scene), I'd like the
polygon that describes only the visible portion.  I am basically
interested in knowing the surface area of all the visible geometry in
the scene.

2) The distance from the given point to a point on the visible surface.

3) Color information associated with each visible surface plane.

Could someone suggest parts of the OSG API I should learn in order to
solve this problem?  Do you think OSG is the right tool for this sort
of analysis?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

for such purpose.