Hi Robert, Hi Scott,

2008/3/27, Robert Osfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Scott,
>
> The best person to answer these questions will be David Callu as he
> implemented the shapefile support in VPB.   I'll wait to see if David
> replies as he'll be able to provide better answers.  I'd have to dig
> into the code to refresh myself to answer them, which.. well isn't
> much different from you doing it.
>

> Robert.
>

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Hulet, Scott S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Robert,
> >
> >  Sorry for the overwhelming post!  Let's start out with these
> >  inter-related options.  I'd like to understand how to integrate feature
> >  data into the DB via osgdem.  It appears that the following options are
> >  involved.  Are there others?  Can you explain how these work?  Thanks!

When shapefile (.shp) is loaded by osgdb_shp plugin , if the
corresponding datafile (.dbf) is in the same directory, it is
loaded too and used to populate osgSim::ShapeAttribute class.
In the datafile .dbf, there are zero or many attributes by shape
define in the shapefile. Each attribut have a name and a value.
osg::Geometry create by osgdb_shp contain an
osgSim::ShapeAttributeList in UserData variable. This list contain
zero or many osgSim::ShapeAttribute. This attribute are used by VPB :

>   --building <filename>                   Specify building outlines using
> >  (How does this work; extrusion? Any controls?)

shape define in "filename" are extruded to create a volume (building)
there are any other control on this process

>                                          shapefiles.
> >   --forest <filename>                     Specify forest outlines using
> >  (How does this work; extrusion? Any controls?)

each vertices in shape define in "filename" are extrude to create a simple
line (tree)
same process as the --building option, so no control

>                                          shapefiles
> >   --height                               Set the height to use for
> >  asscociated (Both buildings and/or forests?)

overload the height value used to extrude building or forest

> >                                          shapefiles.
> >   --height-attribute                     Set the attribute name for
> height (Both buildings and/or forests?)
> >                                          attributes used in
> shapefile/dbase files.

set the name of the osgSim::ShapeAttribute which contain the height value
used to extrude the building or forest shapefile

there are any other shapefile option

During the osg DataBase creation process, in
vpb::DestinationTile::createScene() method,
each shapefile model are transformed and placed in the scene by a
vpb::ShapeFilePlacer.
This vpb::ObjectPlacer based class extrude and adjust position and elevation

of the model to match the terrain elevation. this is the place to add
shapefile feature.
Then modify vpb::CommandLine to insert your own command line option.

HTH
David Callu