hi robert, we tried this with mesa at our latest training code. it
didn't exactly work - problems cropped up mostly wrt extension
features even though we had disabled most features which would require
them. i didn't take the time to track down all the odd corners, given
that vpb is a work in progress. and, if anyone wants exactly this
feature, it's a great community effort. :) but it's good to know
authoritatively that osgdem still requires a gfx context for some
cases.

thanks,
bob

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Robert Osfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>

>  On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Paul Martz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > Hi Robert -- I'd like to run VPB on a cluster of display-less Linux
> systems.
>  > Is this possible, and if so, can you post a list of osgdem command line
>  > options that would make this possible?
>
>  There is no support for this right now, but it should be possible with
>  further evolution of the code.  Right now the problem area would be
>  the creation of graphics context for doing OpenGL texture compression
>  and mipmapping.
>

>  > (I know some osgdem command line options control use - or non-use - of the
>  > graphics hardware. A list of all the options necessary to completely
> disable
>  > use of the graphics hardware should allow VPB to run without error in a
>  > display-less cluster environment, right?)
>
>  It'd be the mipmapping/texture compression that would need to be disabled.
>
>  Use of Mesa might well be a way of getting round this without even
>  modifying VPB.
>
>  Robert.

bob kuehne
founder and ceo - blue newt software