Hi Jan,

Except that these benchmarks mean little - they were done in Windows and
focused on DirectX with Windows drivers.

Well, as I said this will be for my home machine, so gaming will be my primary concern. I'm trying to decide if the trade-off of lower OpenGL performance and possibly driver troubles/bugs (for the ~1 day a week I may be working from home) is worth the additional performance in games.

Actually, Linux OpenGL benchmarks are showing exactly the opposite:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_radeonhd_4850&num=1

Extremely interesting, thanks for the link, this will definitely help.

Simply the OpenGL is not their top priority even on Windows. The Linux
drivers are improving, but in terms of stability and features, not
performance. If you want to do 3D work on Linux, nVidia is still the way
to go, unfortunately.

Unfortunately in terms of there being little competition I guess, but I personally have no problem with nVidia, have loved them since the demise of 3dfx. I'm just trying to weigh the pros/cons as I said.

Thanks for the info.

J-S