Hi Robert,

As we don't know whether this is the cause of the problem yet, I've
modified J-S's osgviewer.cpp to do the resize.  Could users who've
seen problems try this version out, if this works then we have
workaround that end users can apply to existing apps, and we can
figure out a solution to fix it permanently in svn/trunk.

Well, seems like that didn't change anything. But following your hint I checked where the renderingTraversals was stuck:

    // wait till the dynamic draw is complete.
    if (_endDynamicDrawBlock.valid())
    {
        // osg::Timer_t startTick = osg::Timer::instance()->tick();
        _endDynamicDrawBlock->block();
// osg::notify(osg::NOTICE)<<"Time waiting "<<osg::Timer::instance()->delta_m(startTick, osg::Timer::instance()->tick())<<std::endl;;
    }

It's hung on the _endDynamicDrawBlock->block(); line.

When it hung, I had just created a 4th view (=4th context). Uncoincidentally, there are 4 threads on GraphicsThread::run(), which calls GraphicsContext::makeCurrent(), which calls GraphicsWindowWin32::makeCurrentImplementation, which is stuck on the wglMakeCurrent() call. One of those 4 is stuck in the middle of the graphics driver DLL, but I'm not sure that's relevant.

I'm not sure how I can see if one of the graphics threads is crashed, as you indicated... They all seem to be running, just blocked.

Other than those 5 threads (main thread with renderingTraversals() + 4 draw threads, one per context) there are 7 other threads in the process. I can't see specifically what they're doing since they're all in graphics driver code (more or less deeply).

(this all coincides with the stack traces I sent before, but I just thought explaining it in words would help me understand eventually, and perhaps others too)

J-S