Hi Robert,

I have cmake-2.6.0. I had it before Intrepid; downloaded from
cmake.org and it has the proper CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE (-O3 -NDEBUG).
This suggests that the ubuntu archives might be the source of your
problem.
I - like you - also have cmake-2.6.2 installed with proper
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE. This too downloaded manually from cmake.org

cheers
Mattias