Hi Ralf,
what is the Vertical sync setting for your video card/application?
It should be On if you don't want database pager thread to affect framerate.

Best,
Marcin

Ralf Stokholm pisze:
Hi List
I have been fighting a studdering problem in my application for a while, my best guess at the moment is tht the problem is relatet to paging of large terrains. We are using a large terrain build using virtual planet builder. To test the behavior of this model i load it in osgviewer and I notice the same drops here, to get some better data on this i modified the stats class so that it will also collect max times for the various tasks, and changed it to show frame time and not FPS. I load the model in the viewer so that it is set up to strech across my two screens 1920x1200 and 1920x1080. I rarely see a frametime average above 10 ms, but when I experience the drops I have seen max frametimes as high as 160 ms. The connections seams to be with the last draw call that will increase its max time as high as 150 ms. So I guess my question is what could make my last draw reach so high, is the interaction with the database pager part of this draw? I have tried many different settings for the env values for the database pager, but although they make a difference on performance it dosent seam to affect the random framedrop. Im running on windows XP, core2 quad 3 Ghz 4 BG mem, terrain is running of a 2 TB raid 0 drive and I have a Nvidia GTX 280 graphics card.
osg is version 2.6.1
Brgs Ralf Stokholm
http://arenalogic.eu/air_combat_trainer.aspx