Robert Osfield wrote:
With the advent of forum.openscenegraph.org <http://forum.openscenegraph.org> developed ably by Art Tevs we have a great new avenue for users to choice whether they prefer forum or mailing list for support... which is great but... for mailing list users the posts from forum members have become rather impersonal, with all too cryptic usernames, something that can happen with emails too but is happening far more readily with forum members. Once postings starting loose who they are from they also loose the self regulating and personal nature to them, and it makes bad tempered posts more likely, either at original source, or in response.
Another thing with the forum is that all senders have the same e-mail (osgfo...@tevs.eu), so in effect you can't send somebody a personal reply without first lookup up their real e-mail address on the forum. CC-ing them is also not possible. I assume the forum<->list gateway uses the From: name to match up a post on the list with a user on the forum?

Paul