Paul Martz wrote:
(Posting this for about the 1000th time...)

Zooming merely changes the field of view without changing the view position.
Think of a photographer changing lenses on a camera without changing his
physical location. You change the projection matrix to change the field of
view, not the modelview matrix.
But that's *your* definition of zooming...
If you want to move the view position closer to a location, or further away
from a location, then you would change the modelview matrix (Camera view)
for that.
Which is what the OP asks about (he does not ask about the projection matrix)

Regards,
Paul (#2)
See the OpenGL red book.

Paul Martz