From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Robert Osfield
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:50 AM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Compressed texture

 Hi Yefei,
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Yefei He <y...@nads-sc.uiowa.edu> wrote:
   Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree it will take quite some
effort and possibly format change to implement texture sharing
between ive files with built-in textures. That's why I would like
a quicker way out:) -- using ive files without built-in texture but
refer to compressed texture in dds format. Is my assumption
correct that compressed texture in dds format remains compressed
when loaded into memory and passed on to the osg core and GL layer
without being decompressed, as opposed to say jpeg images which
are decompressed during loading and then passed on to osg core in
uncompressed bitmap format?

Yes this is correct, the OSG loads the S3TC_DXT* compressed formats from the
.dds file and keeps them in that format in the osg::Image and the final
downloaded texture.  You can compress the textures for a file using osgconv:

osgconv --compressed myfile.flt myfile.ive

It won't solve the problem of sharing textures though.