Hi All,

I have just tagged the OpenSceneGraph-2.8.1 release, and have started
updating the website with all the details.  The source code can be
grabbed from:

    source package : OpenSceneGraph-2.8.1.zip
    svn tag: svn co
http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/OpenSceneGraph/tags/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.1
OpenSceneGraph

Or from the download page:

   http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Downloads?version=90

News item for this release is:

   http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/News/Press/OSG2.8.1

We don't yet have any binaries, so could volunteers on the various
platforms pull down the 2.8.1 sources and build the packages as we did
for OpenSceneGraph-2.8.0.   It should be possible to ftp the binary
packages on the OSG webiste, I'm afraid I don't recall the log in
details over the top of my head.  Perhaps Jose Luis Hidalgo can point
us in the right direction ;-)

Many thanks to all those long suffering contributors that have been
testing and help bug fix on this release.

Happy coding :-)
Robert.

--  Updates between 2.8.1 and 2.8.0 releases include: ¶

    * Build fixes under !FreeBSD and IBM AIX, and RedHat Enterprise Linux.
    * Improved compatibility with SWIG wrapper building
    * Crash fixes in osg::State, osg::Geometry and osgWidget.
    * Bug fixes to :
          o draw instanced support
          o Optimizer - MergeGeometryVisitor,
RemoveLoadedProxyNodesVisitor and SpatializeGroupsVistor
          o hdr image loader
          o handling of opacity maps in 3ds loader
          o dxf loader
          o frame buffer object
          o cursor/event handling in windows
          o windows threading
          o memory leak in Collada loader
          o fixes to display lists/vbo creation that prevent crash
under ATI drivers
          o subface PolygonOffset setting in OpenFlight
          o osgconv --formats under OSX
          o osgTerrain::Layer bounding volume calculation.

Updates between 2.8 and 2.6 include: ¶

    * New osgVolume library for volume rendering, with support for:
          o High quality GPU based Ray tracing
          o Transfer functions
          o Per pixel lighting
          o Iso surface rendering
          o Maximum Intensity Projection rendering
          o Non-power-of-two 3D textures, and 3D texture compression
          o DICOM loading for reading dicom medical data
    * New osgAnimation library for character and scene animation.
    * New plugin for reading Biovision hierarchical files (.BVH) to
generate character motion animations.
    * New osgShadow support for Light Space Perspective Shadow Maps (LispSM).
    * Three new scene graph widgets for placing traditional 2D
capability into fully interactive 3D scenes:
          o PDF widget (based on libPoppler)
          o VNC client widget (based on libVNCServer)
          o Internet browser client widget (based on Gecko/UBrowser)
    * New plugins for loading Half-Life 2 maps and models.
    * New plugin for loading EXR, high dynamic range imagery
    * Improvements to DatabasePager, tailored for low latency paging.
    * Improved runtime stats collection and on screen reporting.
    * Performance improvements through optimization of matrix operations.
    * Support for the OpenGL "draw instanced" extension.
    * Support for zlib compressed native .ive and .gz files
    * Improvements to COLLADA support.
    * Build reporting using CDash
    * New packaging support using CPack
    * A wide range of build and bug fixes