Rabbi,

Rabbi Robinson wrote:
> Hi, I wonder when I should use setDataVariance(osg::Object::DYNAMIC);

I was wondering this as well. It's in Object, so pretty much everything
has a data variance attribute and I really don't understand what it
could possibly mean in most contexts. For example, in the context of a
Geode, I think you are just saying the drawables may change. Ok, fine.
What about in the context of a switch node or a group node? Is a dynamic
group one in which the membership is variable? How about in the context
of a callback? Or an Array? Or a Viewer? Or a RenderStage?

It seems to me that it doesn't really belong in Object and perhaps there
should be an interface that exposes get and setDataVariance() (and any
other data centric accessors). Objects for which data variance makes
sense would implement this interface.

With similar reasoning, I don't think the resizeGLObjectBuffers() and
releaseGLObjects() methods belong in Object either. There must be
performance reasons for doing so.

Cory