Andrew Burnett-Thompson wrote on Friday, July 17, 2009 10:42 AM:
> However so far I can see the only way to add specular is via a
StateSet. I
> previously had one stateset per object, but this consumed too much
memory, so
> now have a shared stateset

I assume you're referring to your statement here:

http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=3121

Where you say moving from a StateSet per Geode to a shared StateSet
saved you 250MB.

We don't have any details on how you're creating those StateSets, but
the StateSet itself is only about 192 bytes, so the rest of the memory
savings probably come from all the StateAttributes you must be adding to
the StateSets. Perhaps if you shared the StateAttributes as much as
possible, you could still use a StateSet per Geode (such as for adding
specular) with a much smaller memory footprint (closer to 36MB for your
200000 object model).

I'm assuming a lot about what you were doing, though, so feel free to
shoot me down if some of my assumptions are wrong :)
--
Bryan Thrall
FlightSafety International