Hi D.J.,

(please use your name so we know how to address you)

I am in the same business as you, solar system simulations and such.
And I too use DPN happily, but not much experience with osgShadow. One
advice is to make sure you're running single thread with OSG, I think
it is a strong requirement of DPN so far, it might get better with
future. As for the eclipses, it's hard to model them correctly with
regular shadows, so I opted to just draw transparent cones (one for
the penumbra, one for the umbra) see i.e.:

http://orsa.sourceforge.net/screenshots/misc/eclipse.png

Cheers,
Pasquale