I asked Oleg Komogortsev, an eye-tracking researcher at Texas State
University: " here is what we use at the moment http://www.gazegroup.org/ ,
the quality of the results will depend on your camera hardware. But this is
the best in my opinion at the moment."

I briefly looked it up, and their GPL software is based on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gazetrackinglib/, which in turn is based on
openCV (via emguCV .NET bindings unfortunately). However, it might provide
useful pointers for new projects.

Cheers,
Gerwin