Gianluca Natale wrote:
I cannot completely agree.

I mean that I know that the real perfect bounding sphere is computationally
expensive,
but in many cases (solid objects) it should be computed just once
But in many other cases (dynamic geometry) it must be computed each frame. So it really does need to be very fast.

If you need a very tight bounding sphere, you could write your own NodeVisitor to create it. But changing OSG to compute and use tight bounding spheres throughout would be a formidable redesign that could take 2-4 engineering months to completely code and test, and while it might improve culling in some cases, it would also harm performance in other cases, so the net result would probably be a wash.
  -Paul