robertosfield wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> There isn't a paged geometry plugin, database paging support is built
> directly into the scene graph via the osg::PageLOD node, and into the
> viewer using the osgDB::DatabasePager that is automatically set up for
> you (you don't need to do anything to enable it.)
>
> The problem in hand is really how to create the databases rather than
> how to render them.  This is a very open ended question, ranging from
> commercial tools to rolling your own database builders.  You've said
> nothing about your existing data so I can't say anything specific in
> recommendations.
>
> Robert.
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Peter Bear<> wrote:
>
> > Hi, anyone know if there's a paged geometry plugin out there or in the
> > works for OSG? I was hoping for something like this to assist in the
> > rendering of terrain features such as forests, vegetation and things like
> > that.
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Peter
> >
> > ------------------
> > Read this topic online here:
> > http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=16315#16315

>  ------------------
> Post generated by Mail2Forum

right now my idea is to figure out a way to create a way to create forest
scenes for a project I'm working on, and use sort of a method of pre-rendering
the scene, and then applying it in a way which would allow for at a certain
altitude/distance and below, the trees and such would be 3d, however further
out that would be done with 2d billboards, similar to the trees in MS FSX or
X-Plane 9. The areas would be pre-generated by defining in a layout tool
certain regions in which to make a mass of trees, or putting individual
trees/shrubs in manually, and then saving it into a landscape that's usable.
The general idea is to create a method of simulating forests for ground
operations at a higher detail, or for jets, a lower detail the further up you
get. I would try to use a layout tool using something like google earth for
reference imagery, to try to decide where to put these chunks, and individual
areas, and put down the objects. Then I might work on a ground texture method
whi
 ch would allow for higher detail ground textures the closer you get. The
layout tool is still a work in progress, or at least version 2 is, so that's up
in the air. The overall idea though is to create a functional foliage system
for the project which would allow for high details on the ground, while
maintaining good frame rates in the air. The databases would all be based off
placing it in a editor based off satellite imagery, and using polygons to
define some areas where it's just a big massive forest for example.