I'm using an Heightfield to represent my terrain and parts of the terrain could
have a surface feature (e.g. a lake).  The lake is being drawn as a polygon
directly on the surface of the terrain.  This, of course, is causing z-fighting
to occur between the terrain and the surface feature.  I have been trying to
solve this problem and have run across a couple solutions but they aren't
working for me.

I have tried using polygon offset with the GL_OFFSET_POLYGON_FILL mode, which
works when zoomed out far but up close z-fighting still occurs.

I have tried using a stencil buffer approach but I can't get it to work
properly.  I can get the surface feature to stencil out the area of terrain but
if you rotate the scene so that the surface feature is behind a mountain the
stencil is still in place and the feature is rendered through the mountain.
Hopefully, I am doing something wrong and someone can explain how I can make
this work.

James