James, I am fairly new to OSG so I do not know what specific classes or API
calls might be used.

In non-OSG terms I think a way to do it would be to:

1.       Create your lake geometry placed in relation to the terrain

2.       Set up an orthographic camera looking from above, down towards the
lake

3.       Render the lake to texture

4.       Set the uv texture coordinates of your terrain geometry to be equal
to x,y (i.e., ignore the height)

5.       Apply the lake texture to the terrain geometry

I am sure there are more specific steps to think about as you implement it.
Let us know if it works or if you think of something better.

Jason