Hi,

Thank you for your help. I would like to show as many lines and points as
possible at one time. Since some lines and points are clustered together, I am
thinking about using LOD, PagedLOD, Impostor, or something similar to make
culling and drawing take less time, but my viewer is actually an inspection
tool. It is better to show as much details as possible. My viewer needs to
support Pan, Zoom, Orbit, and Select.

The position of the lines and points are static but their colors are used for
selection. My viewer allows the user to select one or more lines and points by
changing their color. Right now, I am grouping chunks of lines in some
osg::Geometry nodes and storing their colors in the color arrays. When the user
select a line, for example, I will change the color of the line in the color
array. Even though the grouping improve the viewer performance a lot, unrelated
lines or points are now grouped together, making the scene graph inflexible to
be used in other ways. Also, is changing the color to show the selection a bad
idea? Other ways of showing the selected lines and points are fine, as long as
I can improve the performance and the memory usage.

The lines and points also take up a lot of memory (> 1GB) in the scene graph.
Large memory allocation may also be the cause of a long loading time for the
data. Is there a way to reduce the memory usage for the scene graph?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Angus