Hi Robert and Paul,

Thank you both for your replies. Your answers affirmed my own investigations
into gl3.

For Paul - my OSG project is being developed for Win32 x64. I have just moved
it to Windows 7 x64. It is tied to Windows because it is designed to work in
concert with other Windows commercial apps that will probably never be ported
to Linux.

My project is still in development and has a long term objective. My view is
forward looking, so I am interested in embracing gl3 as development progresses.
I am primarily developing for nVidia hardware, and am particularly interested
in nVidia extensions to gl3 that they refer to as "Bindness Graphics".

nVidia states:
        Bindless Graphics refers to changes to OpenGL that can enable close to
an order of magnitude improvement in the CPU-limitedness         of graphics
applications.

        Bindless Graphics has the following desirable properties:
•       The driver need not dereference a vertex buffer or constant buffer on
the CPU in order for the GPU to use it.
•       Relieves the limits on how many buffer objects can be accessed at once
by shaders
•       Buffer objects are accessed as C-style pointer dereferences in the
shading language
•       Allows for dependent pointer fetches, enabling more complex scene graph
structures to be built into buffer objects providing significant new
flexibility in the use of shaders.

Measurements have shown that bindless graphics can result in more than 7x
speedup!

Unfortunately the nVidia OpenGL SDK which usually provides code examples seems
to be stuck at this time at the GeForce 8 gl2.1  level. Hopefully this will be
updated sometime in the future.

As it seems that I am at about the same juncture as everyone else with respect
to gl3, I don't feel so alone or incompetent as I did when I first began asking
questions. I plan to take Paul's advice and begin writing gl3 code. If I come
up with anything useful I will gladly contribute it with a submission.

I have found that the Red Book 7th Edition covers gl3 and gl3.1. I also found
the book Beginning OpenGL Game Programming 2nd Edition by Luke Benstead has
been updated to gl3. I have just ordered it, but don't have it yet.

Thank you!

Cheers,
John