Hi René,

Maybe the DOM 2.2 binaries could go into the 3rdparty folder or repository?
  that way the plugin becomes 'out of the box' like png and freetype
or do we want a limited set of 3rdparty binaries?

I think we'd have to survey to see how many people use it, because it's a pretty big dependency (over 12MB for the dynamic version, and over 70MB for the static version! and that's just for VC9sp1). If only a small portion of users use it... The png and freetype libs are pretty much required to do anything useful with OSG...

About the 2.8.3 release:
I recently updated sources to use the new manipulators in 2.9.7 .
Is there a stable release to be expected that include these (nice!)
improvements?

I wouldn't mind these changes in 2.8.3 but other users of the old
manipulator code will have to change some code.

It's pretty easy to add #if OSG_VERSION_GREATER_THAN in your code so that it works for both versions of OSG. That's what I did when I tested if our framework worked with OSG 2.9.7 (in particular for the changes in osgManipulator).

At some point Paul will have to draw a line, or else why not merge all the changes and make 2.8.3 equal to the trunk? Anyways, there should be a 2.10 release eventually, right? :-)

J-S