Chris,

I just did a quick search on this website: http://www.gpureview.com/database.php

Looking at a few cards from ATI and NVIDIA, it looks like they put out OpenGL
2.0 compliant cards around late 2002/ early 2003.  Intel chips are a different
story.  You would need a G35 or better chipset in order to get 2.0 support.
That is only about a 3 year old chip.

So you are pretty safe on 2.0 if the target hardware is ATI or NVIDIA, but less
so if you venture into integrated chipsets from Intel.  Of course that assumes
that the OS and drivers loaded onto said system are not ancient beasts.

HTH
Chuck