Hi,
While compiling and installing OSG source version OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3
on Linux Ubuntu 10.04 - 64 bit with kernel 2.6.32-23-generic I noticed the
shared object libraries were not visible to some downstream compile/execute
environments like SimGear/FlightGear.

I did the install with the suggested command
sudo make install_ld_conf

When I checked with ldconfig -v  the /usr/local/lib64 files (the osg .so files)
were not listed.

There is a file called /etc/ld.so.conf.d/openscenegraph.conf which contains the
line /usr/locallib64
If this is changed to /usr/local/lib64  and the ldconfig run again the osg...so
files are now listed and the downstream compiles all work.
I am not sure what forum this comment belongs in but I thought it might be of
some help to somebody.

Cheers,
skip