LOD - Level Of Detail. Obviously when you build a terrain database, you
build it in few different level of details. What is close is more detailed
what is further is less detailed. All of the terrain generation tools are
aware of this and they build the final scene graph using LODs. They often
build it as quad tree structure.

So what you would need is, different representation of the ocean that will
change based on the range. And that is done with LOD node. So your ocean can
be polygonal for far range, and a hole for closer range (the hole will
become your osgocean)

The terrain tools like TerraVista, can do this easy. When you build your
database, you would have vector culture (ESRI shape. etc) for your ocean.
And you specify how this culture will be represented in your final terrain
database. So you make it polygonal for lower LODs and a hole for the highest
LOD. Then you set the range of your osgocean to be the same as your highest
LOD range

That is how I build the bosphores database with TerraVista.

I am not very familiar with vpb (well, I used it couple of times to generate
the whole earth with the blue marble dataset). You would need to see if vpb
can work with vector culture. Or go with some commercial tolls, TerraVista,
TerraSim ... etc. There are some contractors as well you can outsource the
terrain generation to them.

Maybe you explain what is your final database (also, what kind of sources
you have) and we see if we can give better guidance. I expect some of the
rest from the community might have faced and resolved this issue differently
then me.

-Nick