From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Sanat
Talmaki
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:07 PM
To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Unable to place model on vpb terrain. How To ?

Hi Shayne,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried a few different things and have a
few questions from that:

First of, when I try something like this:

Code:
osg::ref_ptr<osg::EllipsoidModel> em =
csnVisitor.coordinateSystemNode->getEllipsoidModel();
  if(!em)
  {
    std::cout << "ellipsoid model is null\n";
  }
  //where csnVisitor has a data member storing coordsystemnode

To get over this, I need to set the ellipsoid model first and then try
the above. This seemed strange but since the ctor is overloaded, I
didn't think much of it. But now that the convertXYZToLatLong and vice
versa are giving me incorrect results, I am wondering if this maybe a
cause??

Second, when I tried using a set of coords for which I had precomputed
the geocentric (XYZ) coords from lat-long using osgEarth, I got
incorrect numbers.

Code:
csnVisitor.coordinateSystemNode->getEllipsoidModel()->

convertLatLongHeightToXYZ(osg::DegreesToRadians(42.291966f),
osg::DegreesToRadians(-83.715645f), 0.0f,
                   terrainPosition.x(), terrainPosition.y(),
terrainPosition.z());
  double latitude, longitude, height;

csnVisitor.coordinateSystemNode->getEllipsoidModel()->convertXYZToLatLon
gHeight(276119.7034106, 4685765.312, 0.0,

latitude, longitude, height);

I think I have these functions right. But cannot figure out what maybe
causing this error.

Third, when I try to get the height above terrain like:

Code:
osgSim::HeightAboveTerrain::computeHeightAboveTerrain(terrain,
terrainPosition)
//where terrain position is from the convert to XYZ function

This gives me a wrong height value.

I wanted to know what it is that I can check or that I maybe doing
wrong. I have attached the terrain file (osg) that I am using in case
that helps.

Thank you

Sincerely,
Sanat.