Hi J-S -- It looks great. But I do have a couple questions.

How flexible is your art pipeline / rendering process for loading arbitrary models? Could you replace that excavator with some arbitrary CAD machinery, such as a tractor, and get the same visual fidelity? Or is there quite a bit of per-model hands-on modeling time in the art pipeline to create the necessary specular and normal maps, dirt, scuff marks, etc?

Also, how are you doing the transparency (e.g., the excavator cab windows)? Is that simple RenderBin back-to-front rendering, or are you using an order-independent technique? If the latter, how are you implementing it?

Are the trees in the background simple billboards, or truly 3D so that the viewpoint can be placed inside them?

Is the atmospheric scattering simple OpenGL fog, or something more complex?

I didn't notice any screen-space post-rendering effects (such as depth of field), is that correct? If I'm wrong, what screen-space effects are you doing, and did you encounter any difficulties with generalizing them into your rendering system?

I'm always looking for more general ways to make stuff like this work, so I'm just trying to figure out how much of this demo was general-purpose, and how much was non-general, suitable only for demos.

Thanks,
   -Paul