A co-worker of mine recently fixed a bunch of similar VPB issues by following this advice:

http://forum.osgearth.org/Critical-issue-with-paging-and-horizon-td5789174.html

The jist of it is this:
'Try setting your OSG_MAX_PAGEDLOD environment variable to something higher (default is 300 if I remember correctly). Also, try changing your loading policy to "preemptive" since that way the current LOD is loaded first. '

- Rob