Hello Sukender,

documentation is the key, and I believe you all are off to a good start in
that regard.

Inlining the deprecated functions with appropriate comment is a good start
for clear documentation in the source code.

It may be a bit redundant, but attempting to drive the point home for the
user, might I suggest the following type of comment for the deprecated
functions:

[code]
/**
* \deprecated
* note: implemented in terms of meta-data; consider using meta-data directly
... */
[/code]

My current opinion is that the two functions you suggest, as straight
forward as they may be to write correctly, may not be useful enough for the
OSG group at large to justify adding even that small wrinkle of complexity
to the design.  userData and descriptionList specific functions will be
deprecated features, and, as such, we should probably actively discourage
continued use. clearValuesButUserDataAndDescriptionList and
removeContainerButKeepUserDataAndDescriptionList might put an undo burden on
clients for the sake of supporting functions that are slotted for removal.

I can already see one or two design alternatives using meta-data for my
project to replace descriptionList.  We were able to isolate how and where
we were using descriptionList, so the change for us would thankfully be
fairly straight forward.

 On a purely aesthetic note, might I suggest for the sake of consistency
using the same spelling of meta-data, meta data, or metadata in all official
documentation.  I can be real nit picky, I know.  ;-)

Thanks...

D.J.