"Reference" as in a research paper? As far as I know, AutoTransform's calculations are just linear algebra and a firm grasp of the OpenGL transformation pipeline.

Both OpenGL Programming Guide (red book) and OpenGL Distilled (my book) describe the transform pipeline found in OpenGL <=3.0, and both books also list at least one linear algebra text for recommended reading.
   -Paul