From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Paul
Martz
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:30 PM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] FAR_PLANE_CULLING

On 6/23/2011 3:14 PM, Terry Welsh wrote:
> Haven't looked at this in a while, but I was just performance tuning
> an old app and got a significant boost by adding in
> CullSettings::FAR_PLANE_CULLING.  Why isn't this included as part of
> DEFAULT_CULLING?  I don't have any hard data, but I suspect the
> performance penalty for culling with the far plane when you shouldn't
> isn't near as bad as ignoring the far plane when you should use it.
> (I suspect NEAR_PLANE_CULLING is not as useful for most apps.)

Hi Terry -- Do you have auto-compute near/far turned on? If so, there
shouldn't
be anything behind the far plane. In that case, it doesn't make sense
for the
CullVisitor to check every single Drawable's bounding box against a
plane that
it can't possibly be clipped by. For this reason, culling against the
far plane
is off by default.

If you disable auto-compute near/far, and you expect part of your scene
to be
behind the far plane, then you should enable far plane culling. I'd
expect to
see a performance boost in such a case.

Hope that helps,
    -Paul