The white paper on nvidia's site
http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html says these three
automatically power on the GPU:
"
DX Calls: Any 3D game engine or DirectX application will trigger these
calls
DXVA Calls: Video playback will trigger these calls (DXVA = DirectX
Video Acceleration)
CUDA Calls: CUDA applications will trigger these calls
"

The lack of working profiles and API seems pretty problematic.  One could
always run some CUDA code at startup, but it doesn't say how shutdown is
determined, and this really reeks of a kludge.

Ryan

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Jean-Sébastien Guay <
jean-sebastien.g...@cm-labs.com> wrote:

> Hi Martins,
>

>  I'm using 268.30, the most recent as provided by Dell specifically for
>> my laptop. I have not tried any of the drivers on Nvidia's site.
>>

> Well, I just reverted to the 268.71 version that is provided by Lenovo. On
> this version, selecting the discrete graphics in the Global Settings tab
> works, but profiles I add don't seem to be saved (I close and re-open the
> nVidia control panel and the profiles I added are gone).
>
> So I guess I have a workaround to enable the nVidia graphics chip when I
> need it without rebooting and doing it in the BIOS, but I hope nVidia reply
> to my message and fix profiles, and possibly have a way for apps to tell it
> where to run. That would be the best.
>

>  I hope a better solution becomes available. This could be a support
>> nightmare when distributing applications.
>>

> Indeed.
>

> J-S
> --

Ryan Pavlik