On Monday 27 Feb 2012 15:26:15 Robert Osfield wrote:
> HI Magnus,
>
> If you make a Transform node as STATIC then you've told the scene
> graph that it will never change so will be fair game for the
> Optimizer.  You have two choices if you don't want to have the
> Optimizer optimize it away:
>
>  1) Don't call the Optimizer with the FLATTEN_STATIC_TRANSFORM enabled.
>  2) Make your Transforms which will be changing as DYNAMIC.
>
> Robert.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your rapid answer.

I understand perfectly well the way the optimizer works and how to get the
desired behaviour in its current implementation. DYNAMIC DOFTransform is the
way to go (FLATTEN_STATIC_TRANSFORMS wouldn't work, as these DOFTransform
nodes are part of bigger scenes, that do benefit from transformation
flattening). I was just trying to see if there was a good reason to ever set
the data variance to STATIC on a DOFTransform.

But maybe this question is more to the authors of osgmaxexporter. Why does
osgmaxexporter unconditionally set the data variance to STATIC? What are the
use cases where one would model a STATIC DOFTransform?

Magnus