On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Aurelien Albert <
aurelien.alb...@alyotech.fr> wrote:

> 1. I need to manage multiple "terrain layers". A layer is made of
> elevation data and texture data. So I think to build a terrain database for
> each "terrain layer" and then add all these database in the same scene
> graph. This allow the user to rebuild / show / hide only selected "terrain
> layers"
> Is there any technical / performance problems to use multiple terrain
> database nodes in the same scene graph ? I know there will be some
> rendering artifacts because a (X;Y) point can have different altitudes (one
> from each "terrain layer") but this is not my question, I wondering about
> TileID management for example.

  I've done it before without problems.

> 2. Some "terrain layers" have elevation data relative to another one. Is
> there anyway to manage that using osgTerrain ? I think I can "add" the 2
> elevation data using GDAL before database creation, but I would prefer to
> do that at runtime.

  Not really. You should consider looking into osgEarth. It might have a
way to do this since it builds the terrain on the fly.

> 3. Is there any "invalid elevation value" management to "cut holes" in
> source elevation data and then build a database with holes inside ? (not
> simple shape holes as square)

  I don't remember how VPB handles this anymore. I know I've done it though.

> 4. Is there any way to build a "texture only database" (no elevation data)
> and then add / remove it (as a colorlayer on pre-loaded terrain database)
> at runtime ?

  This is something osgEarth is MUCH better suited to doing.

> Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Aurelien

> Read this topic online here:
> http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=46268#46268

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 •
GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Digital Imaging • GIS • GPS • Telemetry • Cryptography • Digital Audio •
LIDAR • Kinect • Embedded • Mobile • iPhone/iPad/iOS • Android