On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Chris Hanson <xe...@alphapixel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Preet <prismatic.proj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> By default some of the parameters of a camera are computed based on
>> the contents of a scene (like the near and far plane). Camera
>> manipulators will also behave differently based on the placement of
>> objects in the scene. I have one node in my scene that I want the
>> camera and any manipulators to 'ignore' in this respect, but I still
>> want the node to be rendered. Is there anyway I can do this?
>

> Probably not. The nodes have to be Culled in order to be added to the Render
> List, and the scene bounds and such are computed during culling.
>
> The bigger question is what are you trying to do, and why? That answer will
> probably allow us to suggest something useful, like depth partitioning or
> something.

I'm trying to visualize stuff like buildings and roads on the surface
of the Earth. But for reference, I'd also like to display the surface
of the Earth (just as a set of points). Including geometry for the
Earth's surface makes the other stuff disappear (and reappear at
certain angles). To me it looks like an issue with the near/far planes
of the frustum.

I wanted to avoid specifying the near/far planes manually since the
behaviour without the Earth surface geometry is perfect as is. I don't
care about the overhead of drawing the surface geometry since its so
simple, and I don't want the scene graph to account for the surface
geometry (outside of rendering it); the other objects in the scene
should determine the camera frustum.

Preet