cajun,

The terrain is a quadtree of tiles, with 2 tiles at the root level (for a
round whole-earth terrain). Theses are tile keys (0/0/0) and (0/1/0). As
you move the camera closer, a tile subdivides into 4 smaller tiles (its
children), each with twice the resolution of the parent tile. Each tile has
a range (i.e. distance from the camera) at which it will disappear and be
replaced by its higher-resolution children. When you zoom out, similarly,
the tile will revert back to its lower-resolution parent.

There is an osgEarth-specific forum you can peruse as well:
http://forum.osgearth.org

Hope this helps.

Glenn Waldron / @glennwaldron / osgEarth.org