Hello,

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:15 AM, Lv Qing <donlvq...@msn.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have changed my graphics card from GTX260 to Quadro FX 370 .
> Recently I find my app sometimes crashed as below:
>                        in free() from /lib/libc.so.6
>                        libnvidia-glcore.so.260.19.44
> which seems untraceable.
>
>    Then I find a mistake ,I still use the GTX260 driver after changing to
> the FX 370 .  However ,the linux system seemd recognise the FX 370 without
> problem.
>
>    Sure,It is easy to reinstall the correct driver,but since our app is
> already deployed to customer.I may trade this problem carefully.

>    So my question is:
>
>          Is a incorrect driver  may cause the libnvidia-glcore.so. problem?
>
>          and If I change the driver ,Is it necessary  to re-compile osg
> under Linux?

Yes, the incorrect driver (or incorrectly configured one) can cause the
issue. If your machine is running X configured for GTX260 and you swap the
card for Quadro, you could get crashes. I am not saying you will, but it is
possible - the cards are not really completely identical. You may not have
to reinstall the driver (the files are likely the same), but you may have
to reconfigure X.

And no, it is not normally necessary to recompile OSG when you change
driver or graphic card, because OSG links dynamically only with the client
side libraries, not the driver itself. Those should not change, the OpenGL
ABI is fairly stable. Of course, if you are using some feature that isn't
available in the new driver then you may have issues, but NVIDIA is very
conservative when it comes to backwards compatibility. The only thing that
could cause a crash is that your new card doesn't support some feature you
are using and you aren't handling that case. However, unless you are doing
something bleeding edge or exotic, this is unlikely (you probably aren't,
judging from the GPU choice).

On the other hand, now looking at your stack trace, I would double check
your program, because it seems that you are freeing some memory that is
passed to OpenGL and that you aren't supposed to free and then getting a
crash when the driver tries to free it. Otherwise it could still be a
driver bug, but I would first check the above.

Regards,

Jan