Hi,

my osg based application creates several FBOs and lets slave cameras render
into them "on demand" (i.e. the slaves are turned on only whenever an
update is required().

I now require high speed access to this rendered data with the CPU, ideally
without stalling the render pipeline to avoid stutter of the 3D rendering.
Some online tutorials like the following state that an asynchronous read
back through PBOs would be the fastest way to go.

http://www.comp.nus.edu/~ashwinna/docs/FBO_Readback_using_PBO.pdf
http://www.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de/~goeddeke/gpgpu/tutorial3.html

My question is whether any of this high performance readback (asynchronous
copies and DMA transfers) is already supported by the osg framework, or if
I have to dive into native OpenGL calls to implement this procedure.

The idea is that my GPU does some GLSL shader based physics calculation
(radio propagation) and the CPU can then access this data to run some radio
protocol simulation on top of that.

Christian