I'm not a huge expert, but:

1. the slave should be post, because you want to render the cross/axes on top
of the rest.
2. you can just use a perspective projection if you want a 3d looking axis or a
orthogonal view if you want a 'less' 3d look to it. Be sure to set the near and
far correct, I think a orthogonal might standard be limited to rendering z=0
only?
3. I think this is because you use a clear color on the slave cam. That means
that each frame it will first clear the viewport (therefor your main model
doesn't show it that area). For the axis: don't use a clear color, but instead
use setClearMask to clear the zbuffer (or else it might use the zvalues from
your main scene in the viewport and that doesn't make sense). Then it just
should draw the axis on whatever you rendered in your main scene.