I think a key issue with OpenGL 3 was that it implemented Cool New Stuff, but
froze out people from integrating that with the code they'd already written.
OpenGL NG seems to be about just more efficient access to and control of the
same old stuff.

If there is any new stuff, then for a while, I expect they will continue to
include it in minor revisions of OpenGL 4. Mirroring this policy in
OpenSceneGraph and a new successor seems to be the sensible approach.

As regards the existing device/OS-specific APIs, I'd expect AMD to sideline
their API in favour of both DirectX 12 and OpenGL NG, and Apple to take up NS
as a standard alternative to Metal, too. Microsoft? I'm sure they'll keep on
with DirectX, but they caved on WebGL in IE the end, so they might be persuaded
to let OpenGL ES or NG on to their mobile/console/store platforms, especially
if more people are going to just use ANGLE anyway.

Alistair Baxter