Hi Gianni,

years ago whan I was working on a 3D editor I faced similar challenge. I
solved it with selection buffer, where I had two representation of the
model - one for fast rendering, when you obviously don't pick or
manipulate, so your model with osg::PrimitiveSet::POINTS will represent
this, and other for picking/editing - here a single vertex was a separate
node and along with the selection buffer you can put id on each single
vertex. Maybe there are some better ideas, but the approach I took worked
very well. Just thoughts

Nick

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Gianni Ambrosio <g.ambrosio+...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a surface where a user can pick points. As suggested I used a Geode
> with Geometry built with osg::PrimitiveSet::POINTS and verteices. Then I
> used PointSprite to show an image on each point (but I think this is not
> really important).
>
> Now I need to drag points with the mouse. First of all I have to handle
> the mouse move event to understand on which point the mouse is over. And
> now the problem. Given the mouse is over one of the previously picked
> points, how can I get which is the exact point of the Geometry from a
> osgUtil::PolytopeIntersector? The Intersection object contains a nodePath
> that at least refers to the Geometry node, not the single vertex/point. So
> I guess I have to loop over the actual picked points coordinates (i.e.
> geometry->getVertexArray()) and calculate the distance from the
> intersection.localIntersectionPoint. Is that right or is there a better way
> to implement it?
>
> Cheers,
> Gianni

> Read this topic online here: