That is certainly an important call yes.

I guess my problem is that these two calls are not interchangeable:

#if 1
    osg::ref_ptr<osg::GraphicsContext> gc =
osg::GraphicsContext::createGraphicsContext(traits.get());
#else
    osg::ref_ptr<osgViewer::GraphicsWindowWin32> window = new
osgViewer::GraphicsWindowWin32(traits);
    gc = window.get();
#endif

createGraphicsContext() will do a few more things which the creation of a
osgViewer::GraphicsWindowWin32 does not. The question is really, is it
possible to even consider this?
Is there a mechanism for creating a custom GraphicsWindowWin32 or is this
path doomed to fail.

/Anders