If your terrain surface uses a GLSL fragment shader, you could add a 2D
point in polygon test on the x/y coordinate and add or blend a highlighting
color to the generated fragment when it passes the PIP test. It might get
kind of slow when your enclosing polygons has a lot of vertices.

For a decent PIP test algorithm, look here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11716268/point-in-polygon-algorithm