Sam,
I think you are not calling setNumElements() on your uniform array. You
could also do that in the osg::Uniform constructor.

Anyway, a uniform array of matrices is going to be limiting in terms of
scale and speed -- I'd recommend a buffer object instead. (osgEarth uses an
osg::TextureBuffer.)

Glenn Waldron