Hi Knut,

It's a number of years since I worked on VirtualPlanetBuilder so I'm
afraid I don't recall details, problems with handling many thousands
of tasks doesn't ring any bells, it could easily be problem that
wasn't picked up during development and testing.  I don't recall the
function of the .added file off the top of my head.  I also don't have
a cluster available to test things right now.

The best I can recommend would be to put some debugging into the
vpbmaster run to see what file writes are happing and overall memory
consumption on the master.  Perhaps if it's just progress logs that
are being generated and this is becoming a bottleneck then this part
could possibly be adapted to avoid the bottleneck or made optional.

Another approach you could take is to change the build so that the
individual tasks take on the generation of more levels so that the
number of tasks reduces below the level that is causing the
bottleneck. This is a bit of hack but might get your further without
the need to.

Robert.