HI Rob,

The OSG uses a chain of responsibility pattern for the plugins and
will first attempt to load file by calling all of the currently loaded
plugins first, then if it fails then look for the plugin named the
same as the file extension, in your case .ogr.

There are also some built in aliases in osgDB::Registry that enables
mapping of some extensions to plugins that are known to be supported
i.e. flt to the OpenFlight plugin.  Not all possibility combinations
of extensions are hardwired like this.

I'm away from my dev system so can't check up what is set up by
default but I don't think there is any specific to ffmpeg hard wired
into Registry - the ffmpeg plugin is purely optional part of the OSG
and depends on a 3rd part dependency so we generally avoid hard-wiring
such mappings in.  Have a look in include/osgDB/Registry for the
various methods.

You can always pre-load the ffmpeg or explictly adding in the
extension mapping you want to be recognized by default.

Robert.